AWS ELB with Active/Active and Active/Standby ScaleArc
|Release||Document Status||DB Platform||Categories|
|3.11 or higher||INFO||All||Cluster Settings|
How does ScaleArc work with AWS ELB?
"Elastic Load Balancing automatically distributes incoming application traffic across multiple Amazon EC2 instance in the cloud. It enables you to achieve greater levels of fault tolerance in your applications, seamlessly providing the required amount of load balancing capacity needed to distribute application traffic."
In configuring Active/Active or Active/Passive ScaleArc on AWS, it requires an ELB to be configured to load balance the traffic between the two ScaleArc systems.
To configure the ELB:
1. Create the AWS ELB - EC2 > Load Balancers > Create Load Balancer
2. Name the load balancer, choose the VPC if necessary, add the TCP listing port (3306,1443,1521, etc.), select the Availability zone subnets to be load balanced (these should be the same zones as the ScaleArc instances). Add to the appropriate Security Group. Suppose if we have MSSQL Cluster running on 1443 Port then 3306 TCP port would be replaced by 1443.
3. Configure the ELB health check. This health check is executed on the instance that are being load balanced. It will check the protocol and port is open and available to determine what the status of the instance is. Be careful, you can only have 1 health check per ELB. If you have multiple ScaleArc clusters, Sepearte ELB would be recommended for each Cluster. Ping Port configured should be the InBound IP Address of the Cluster corresponding to which ELB listens.
4. Add your instances to be load balanced to the ELB.
As you can see, right now ScaleArcTest-3 is InSerivce and now serving traffic to Cluster mentioned below. In case ScaleArcTest-3 goes down and ELB unable to communicate with ScaleArcTest-2 as per health check intervals, ScaleArcTest-1 will take its place and further traffic will be served by ScaleArcTest-2.
Configuring ScaleArc Active/Passive HA:
1. SSH to each of the ScaleArc nodes.
If you are experiencing issues with ScaleArc or with any of it's features, please contact ScaleArc Support. We are available 24x7 by phone at 855 800 7225 or +1 408 412 7315. For general support inquiries, you can also e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2901 Tasman Drive Santa Clara, CA 95054 | Email: email@example.com